Before Your House Is Shown
- Tag or remove items not included in sale (i.e. water conditioner, chandeliers, plants, drapes).
- Open shades and curtains to let in light.
- Turn on enough lights so home is well-lit during showing.
- At night, turn on porch light and outdoor lighting.
- Tidy all the rooms. Neatness makes a room easier to view.
- Clean dirty dishes in the sink and put away any dishes on counter.
- Keep toys in the children's rooms.
- Put away items in the yard such as bicycles, gardening tools and skateboards.
- If fall or winter, light a fire in the fireplace.
While Your House Is Being Shown
- When possible, leave while the property is shown. If not, remain in an area not being shown by the sales associate.
- Let the real estate expert show your house. Answer questions candidly when asked, but avoid questioning potential buyers.
- Refer inquiries about seeing your house to your Realtor to take advantage of the agent's professional skills in selling your home.
- Don't mention items you wish to dispose of unless asked.
- It is best to be away when your agent is holding an open house.
- Keep pets outdoors or in one area.
- Keep children quiet and in one area.
- Keep radio, stereo or TV on low volume.
- Keep money and other valuable items out of sight.